Animal Policies & Procedures

2018-2019 Academic Year

Residence Hall No Pet Policy

No pets or animals of any type are permitted in any residential facility. The College recognizes that students and other persons with disabilities might require the assistance of a Service Animal while on campus, or an Emotional Support Animal while living on campus or living in College Housing. These animals are specifically trained for a medically verified disability are allowed by request and proper documentation provided to the Office of Student Life located in the Hazelrigg Student Union. (See also Service Animal/Emotional Support Animal section under Campus Policies.) This policy can be found in the 2018-2019 Student Handbook, page 25.

Emotional Support Animal Definition

An Emotional Support Animal is an animal whose job is to provide therapeutic benefit to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability. The person seeking the Emotional Support Animal must have a verifiable disability with supporting documentation from a certified doctor/physician. The reason cannot be a need for companionship. The animal is viewed as a "reasonable accommodation" under the Fair Housing Act (FHA or FHAct) to those housing communities that have a "no pets" rule. An Emotional Support Animal may be a reasonable accommodation for a person with such a disability. Each student’s request for a housing accommodation to bring an Emotional Support Animal onto campus will be decided on a case-by-case basis.

    • A student who desires to bring an Emotional Support Animal on campus must comply with this policy, complete the required form, and submit it to the Office of Student Life at least thirty (30) days prior to bringing the Emotional Support Animal on campus. Upon submission of the form, a letter will be sent back to the student with information on the approval or denial of the request with instructions as appropriate. Emotional Support Animals on campus are allowed in limited situations/locations when required by law and related to a student’s disability.

Service Animal Definition

Service Animals are trained to assist people with disabilities in the activities of normal living. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines service animals as dogs (and in some instances miniature horses) that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

    • In general, Hastings College will not ask about the nature or extent of a person’s disability, but representatives of the College may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a Service Animal if the person’s disability is not readily apparent and/or the Service Animal’s task related to that person’s disability is not readily apparent: (i) if the animal is required because of a disability; and (ii) what work or task the animal has been specifically trained to perform to assist the disabled person.
    • A Handler of a Service Animal should notify the College that they will have a Service Animal accompany the student in academic classes, activities, or services on campus at least 30 days before arriving on campus. If a student plans to have a Service Animal live with the student in residence, the student should provide notice to the College, especially if some type of accommodation is requested for the Service Animal.

Steps to apply to bring a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal onto campus:

  1. Print off and read the 2018-2019 Service/Emotional Support Animal Policy.
  2. Complete the application for the appropriate animal you wish to bring on campus - Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal and submit application with accompanying required documentation.
        1. Emotional Support Animal Applications will be processed through the Residence Life Office.
        2. Service Animal Requests will be processed through Emily Dunbar,, in Student 200.
  3. Applications must be received 30 days prior to the Animal being approved to be on campus.